Adult Matric (Amended Senior Certificate)
It is never too late for anyone to finish their matric year and achieve a National Senior Certificate. With Bellview Institute of Distance Learning, it is possible for you to complete our Adult Matric certificate. The best part of this is that it does not matter how many years it has been since you wrote your matric exams, you can still apply for an Adult Matric.
Using our Adult Matric programme, it does not matter how many years you have been out of school, Umalusi offers you the chance to get an accredited matric certificate.
Are you over the age of 21 and have a Grade 9 certificate? If so then you meet the needed requirements to start your Adult Matric Course through Bellview Institute of Distance Learning.
Our Amended National Certificate will give you the exact same certificate you would have received traditionally if you had passed matric in your matric year (National Senior Certificate).
|Course:||Amended Senior Certificate|
|Programme Type:||National Qualification|
|Award Type :||Senior Certificate|
|Award Issued By:||Umalusi|
|Course Duration:||12-24 months recommended|
|NQF level:||level 04|
|SAQA ID Number:||49647|
When you choose to complete your Adult Matric course through Bellview it is a requirement that you choose three compulsory subjects and three elective subjects.
You have to choose two languages, one of which must be your “Home Language”. Keep in mind what you need your matric certificate for, that way you can make this process easier for yourself. Choose subjects that will help you in your job or career.
The following is a list of the compulsory subjects you need to choose from. One has to be your Home language, another has to be an Additional language, and one of the Mathematical subjects.
- English Home Language
- English First Additional Language
- Afrikaans Huistaal (Home Language)
- Afrikaans First Additional Language
- isiXhosa First Additional Language
- isiZulu First Additional Language
- Sepedi First Additional Language
- Xitsonga First Additional Language
- Ndebele First Additional Language
- Sesotho First Additional Language
- Tshivenda First Additional Language
- Siswati First Additional Language
- Setswana First Additional Language
- Mathematics Literacy
Provided here is the full list of elective subjects you can choose from when doing your Adult Matric Certificate through Bellview. Note that you must choose three of the subjects from the list.
- Life Sciences (Formerly Biology)
- Physical Science (Formerly Physics and Chemistry)
- Business, Commerce and Management Studies
- Business Studies
- Human and Social Studies
Accreditation and Registration
If you are looking to apply for your Adult Matric (Amended Senior Certificate), you need to remember that it is The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) that offers you that chance. Because of this, there is no accreditation process for your Adult Matric.
After you have written your matric exam, all of your answer papers will be sent to The Department of Basic Education. Your papers will be marked there, and if you were successful and passed, you will receive your Amended Senior Certificate. This certificate will be issued to you and accredited by Umalusi.
During the timeframe of August 2016 up till February 2020, it was a requirement that TVET and FET Private Colleges be registered with The Department of Higher Education and Training. This was done in accordance with the Joint Communique 1 of 2016. This was done in reversal to the legal regulations put in place during 2012.
The Joint Communique 1 of 2016 was revoked in 2020, with the issue of Communique 01 by the Director-General of Higher Education, which was published in the Government Gazette on 7 February 2020.
As put forward by the Government Gazette on 7 February, in section 4.1, “it is no longer required to lodge applications for registration with (the) Department (of Higher Education) as private colleges or private higher education institutions, as contemplated in the Joint Communique 1 of 2016.”
This means that since the process of accreditation no longer exists, Private colleges can no longer register with the DHET. Those colleges that gained accreditation by the DHET while it was still a requirement to register, keep this accreditation until it reaches the initial expiry date. After that date the accreditation will expire and can not be renewed.
As listed in the Government Gazette of 7 February 2020, the correct accreditation processes for private colleges to pursue is to obtain QCTO (Quality Control accreditation. This will then enable these colleges to apply to receive a DHET examination number from their Examinations Division.
For this exam number to be awarded to a college or institution, the college or institution must pass the DHET Examination Division registration requirements. After a site visit by the DHET Examination Division, and meeting all the needed requirements, the DHET will issue a confirmation letter awarding the official exam number and accreditation details.
Matric exams are held at centres approved by the DHET, and upon completion, if you have passed the exams you will receive your Matric Certificate from Umalusi.
An Amended Senior Certificate (Adult Matric) is exactly the same as the one obtained in school during the matric exams.
A Matric certificate, also known as the National Senior Certificate, holds the following accreditation and registration:
- SAQA ID Number: 49647
- NQF Level 4
Bellview Institute of Distance Learning is accredited by the following recognised accreditation bodies:
- Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) – to offer accredited and nationally recognised ICB courses
- Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) – to offer NATED Diplomas which is also accredited and recognised courses
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) – to offer NATED exams
How Does It Work?
With Bellview Institute of Distance Learning the entire registration process right through to the writing of your exam with the Department of Basic Education, is a quick and easy process that is made of the following steps:
- Step One: Get in contact with one of our course specialists and register for your Adult Matric Course
- Step Two: Your study material will be delivered right to your door by courier within five to seven business days, after a successful registration
- Step Three: You will gain access to all of our WhatsApp study groups
- Step Four: Once you have successfully done enough coursework to complete and submit your first assignment, one of our tutors will give you comprehensive feedback. They will also provide you with an overall mark to help track your progress
- Step Five: During the course of your Adult Matric it is important that you communicate with other students and tutors if you are struggling or need any extra help
- Step Six: For the duration of your course we will give you access to our entire collection of past exam papers. These can be used to test what you already know and to prepare you to write your final exams
- Step Seven: The Adult Matric examination registration period opens in October. Once it is open we will assist you with the registration process.
- Step Eight: Before you write your final exams we will invite you to attend our online exam preparation courses. These will help you very much as you prepare for your final exams
- Step Nine: Your final exam will be taking place during May and June
- Step Ten: Once your papers have been marked and if you have passed you will receive your matric certificate which is accredited by Umalusi
What Do I Get From Bellview Institute of Distance Learning?
When you choose to complete your Adult Matric through us you assure yourself of only the best educational experiences possible. Bellview also offers you constant support throughout your Adult Matric. Other benefits you will have through Bellview include:
- All of your study material is included in your course fees
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning has developed a set of well designed notes to allow all students to get the best possible educational experience
- You get access to past exam papers and model answers to help you prepare to write your exams to the best of your ability
- All of your fellow students, tutors, and lecturers are available to help you through all of the WhatsApp groups. They are there to help you with any questions you may have and will provide you full support along your Adult Matric journey
- You will have access to our full academic support team from 08:00 am to 17:00 pm every business day of the week
- All of your assignments will be marked by our team of tutors who will give you the feedback you need in order to do better in the areas that you struggle with
- We will check in with you to make sure that you stay motivated throughout your time with us
- We create study schedules for you to help you to stay on track in the most optimal way
- You can register for our Adult Matric at any time of the year, keeping in mind that exam registration is only open from October till the end of January each year. Bellview Institute of Distance learning will support you throughout this process
- Through Bellview Institute of Distance Learning, you are given enough time to complete your Adult Matric course. An additional benefit is that if you have paid your course fees in full, you can add an additional study year at no additional cost
What Does Bellview Require From Me?
At Bellview Institute of Distance Learning, we strive for success and that is why there are certain things that we expect from our students. We expect the following:
- You will make full use of the given Study Schedule
- You must complete all of your coursework
- If you have any questions, please ask immediately
- Actively take part in your studies
- Remember that we offer many different exam preparation tools
- If something does go wrong, you need to know what procedure to follow
Make Full Use of The Provided Study Schedule
We provide you with our well-structured study schedule. Which will give you the ability to work through every part of the coursework. Making use of this schedule in a proper way will guarantee that you have enough time to study for the exams. This is because our schedules take all of the coursework and break it into manageable sections.
Your studying will be much easier and more productive when you use and follow our schedules.
You Have To Complete All of Your Coursework
It is your responsibility to make sure that you work through all of the given coursework. This is very important because it will allow us to mark it and to give you proper feedback.
In doing so you will be able to understand where exactly you went wrong, and how you can improve before you write your actual exams.
Please Ask Questions
When you face sections of your coursework that you struggle with, you have to reach out to either your peers or tutors for help. Our tutors are well-trained and can help you in every way possible. Reaching out to your peers is also a good idea as they might have insights into that specific section and can help you.
Actively Engage In Your Studies
The best way to ensure that you have a good understanding of your study material and coursework is to participate. You have to participate in study groups, where you will learn new information and gain confidence to ask questions.
Engaging means that you and your peers exchange information and helpful tips that you can use during your exams.
Our Exam Preparation Tools
All of the tools possible to achieve success when you write are available to you from the very first day after registration. These include past exam papers that may help you to understand certain sections of the work better. They will show you how the questions you may find in your exams are set up and marked.
When you use these past papers to study you can easily pass your Adult Matric exams.
If Things Go Wrong, Know What to Do
It might be that you need extra tutoring, more motivation, or solid advice, in these cases you can make use of our Red Alert Form.
Upon completion of the form, it will be sent directly to the CEO of Bellview Institute and together we will find a way to best help you.
What does Bellview NOT Include in the Course?
The only thing that we do not provide is the exam fees of your Adult Matric. This is the fee that you have to pay to the Exam Centre where you choose to write your exams. Once you have finished studying and are ready to write you can pay this fee beforehand.
What Do I Need To Register?
If you are considering applying for our Adult Matric programme, you have to meet the following requirements:
- You have to have passed Grade 9 and have the report or certificate as proof
- A Grade 9 equivalent certificate (for example an ABET certificate) is an NQF Level 1 that includes two official languages
- You need to be 21 years of age or older when you write the exams. You can however be 19 years old when you apply
- As our Adult Matric programme at Bellview Institute is presented in English, you will need to be able to read and write in English. The option to complete your Adult Matric in Afrikaans is also available. To complete it in Afrikaans you will also have to be able to read and write in Afrikaans.
How Long Will It Take?
When you complete your Adult Matric through us, you have the ability to decide how long it will take you. The study material provided does cover every subject and content of all three senior years of High School. Usually it takes three years to complete during your schooling years, but with our Adult Matric programme you can finish it in either 6 or 12 months.
It is possible to evenly spread your course out over 24 or 36 months, depending on your preference and ability.
You can both work and study at the same time when you enroll with Bellview to complete your Adult Matric, meaning it can take as long as you want or as quickly as you want.
How Much Will My Adult Matric Cost?
Please get in contact with our Course Specialists regarding all the information, fees, and payment options available.
How Does Distance Learning Function?
Bellview Institute is a distance learning educational institution. The difference between distance learning and face-to-face learning is:
- The entire Adult Matric programme registration happens over the phone
- Your study material is delivered to your door
- There is no need to buy any extra study material, we provide all of the material that you will need to pass your Adult Matric Course
- Once you get your study material, you can start working on your assignments immediately
- You send your completed assignments to our skilled tutors to have them marked
- Our tutors will provide you in-depth feedback on your assignments. You will know where you can improve or focus more
- Our WhatsApp groups are designed so you can talk to your tutors and classmates. This provides you a platform where you can ask for advice, support, or if you have any questions needing answers
- In the weeks before your exams we will invite you to attend our online exam preparation workshops. This will help you fully prepare to write and pass
- Working through the past exam papers that we offer all our students, you will have the ultimate tools to help you when you write your exams
- Our support team will assist you in the exam registration process that happens during November each year
- If you do decide to do your Adult Matric course over two years, it will not cost you more
What is The Difference Between an Adult Matric Certificate, And a School Matric Certificate?
Both Certificates are exactly the same
It does not matter if you finished your matric during your matric year or later by using our Adult Matric, the certificate you receive looks the same and carries the exact same certification.
Both certificates are accredited by Umalusi.
Mark Calculation and Study Process Differs
When you complete your matric during your schooling years the marks obtained are made up out of your assignments, tests, speeches, and exams. All of these marks count towards your high school matric mark.
This is however not the case when you do your Adult Matric through Bellview. The mark obtained when writing the exams will be the only mark that counts for your end result.
Choosing Your Subjects For Your Adult Matric
Before choosing to register for our Adult Matric, it is important that you think very well when choosing subjects. If you are completing your Adult Matric to gain more knowledge for your potential career. If you are planning to apply for university, take time to decide which subjects meet your needs.
Do research into the field of study you are interested in and see what you need in order to apply. If CV improvement (or Skill-stacking) is your goal, choosing subjects that you know you will pass is important.
Subject choice is a big deal and that is why it is so important to contact one of our course specialists who will guide you through the entire process to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. Keep in mind that there is also a lot of information about subject choices and rules that need to be considered before deciding on your subjects.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a grade 9 certificate and are over the age of 21 when you write your final exams, you qualify for the Adult Matric programme.
Universities accept the Amended Senior Certificate as one of their entrance requirements. You will, however, need to pass the course on a Bachelor’s Degree level and adhere to all of the other entry requirements of the course you want to apply for. The higher your marks, the more likely you are to be accepted into a university course, but make sure to check all of their requirements before choosing your Adult Matric subjects.
Both of these qualifications are viewed the same by employers and educational bodies.
The only difference is that a National Senior Certificate is the award for passing traditional matric, while a Senior Certificate is awarded after passing the Adult Matric course when you are older than 21.
The majority of the Adult Matric course will be completed online. All of your studies and assignments will be handled online, you will only need to write the final examination at an allocated DHET exam venue.
No, you cannot. Standard matric takes 12 months to complete (as well as the previous school years that lead up to matric).
Adult Matric consists of course material from grade 10 to grade 12. This course can be completed in 12, 24, or 36 months.
Yes! As long as you have a grade 9 certificate and are over the age of 21, you can rewrite your Adult Matric whenever you need to.
No, you cannot. Buying a matric certificate is regarded as a crime. You could face a fine, jail time for up to 5 years, or both.
There is no ABET matric level. The highest ABET level is on an NQF level 1. Matric is on an NQF level 4.
The Department of Basic Education has a section on their website where matric results can be viewed once they are released. You can simply log in with your student number to view your matric results.
Adult Matric is on the same level as the standard matric course – NQF level 04.
You can choose to complete the Adult Matric course in 12, 24, or 36 months.
The Adult Matric qualification is awarded by Umalusi.
The minimum amount of time it takes to complete to acquire a Matric Certificate is 1 year.
Yes, the Adult Matric qualification has the following SAQA ID number: 49647.
Not only can you rewrite after 5 years you can enroll for your Matric year after 5 years
No, you need a Matric Certificate (NSC) to study a Marketing Management course.
Here is the Matric pass grade and what they stand for:
- B = Bachelors Pass
- D = Diploma
- HC = Higher Certificate
- NSC = National Senior Certificate
- F = Fail
Adult Matric is a Matric programme that is designed to help people over the age 21, get a Matric Certificate.
Yes you can. With Bellview, you can improve your Matric online by completing a Matric upgrade programme or an Adult Matric programme. These courses take between 12 to 36 months to complete, depending on which option you choose.
For more information on course fees for an Adult Matric course, contact one of our course specialists.
A Matric Certificate and Adult Matric are exactly the same. Through Adult Matric, you stand the chance of gaining an Amended Senior Certificate, which is the same as a Matric Certificate.
An adult matric exam is written by people over 21 years that have not completed their matric. These people will receive an Amended Senior Certificate.
If you are 21 years and older, then you can apply for your matric for free through the Department of Basic Education (DBE). You will have to study on your own as you will not be receiving any study material. You can apply at Bellview Institute of Distance Learning if you need help with studying.
Yes, you can. Bellview Institute of Distance Learning offers matric courses and matric equivalent courses.
Yes, you can. You can study a matric course through distance learning with Bellview Institute of Distance Learning. However, exams will be written in-person at a DHET exam venue closest to you.
Yes, you can. You can do Adult Matric at age 21 and you can also write your exams.
No, it cannot. You can apply for the Matric programmes which can be completed online, but the Matric exams will have to be written in approved venues.
If you are older than 21 years and want to study Matric, you can apply at Bellview Institute of Distance Learning.
The following institutions offer Adult Matric Courses:
- Bellview Institute of Distance Learning
- Matric College
- Skills Academy
Yes, it is. When you complete the Adult Matric course, you will receive an Amended Senior Certificate which is the same as a Matric Certificate.
Yes, you can. The registration for any of our courses is always open. You can register at any time.
No, you cannot. If you want to obtain a university qualification, you will need to have a Matric Certificate, and meet a variety of entry requirements set by that specific university.
Can be as young as 16 years old when you apply for Adult Matric but you will need to be 21 years old when you write your Matric examinations.
It will take you 12 – 24 months to finish your Adult Matric.
Author: Morné van Emmenis
Editor: Sanel Van Staden
Date Published: November 29, 2021