Does NSFAS Fund NATED Courses?

Apply to study for NATED courses in a public institution to receive funding from NSFAS for your undergraduate study in a public college or university.

Yes, NSFAS will fund you if you are interested in registering for a NATED course. NSFAS funds undergraduate courses that are offered in public higher education institutions. It does not fund courses offered in private institutions. At Bellview Institute of Distance Learning, we offer our students unique payment methods to assist with tuition fees.

Who Designed NATED Courses?

NATED courses are the National Qualification courses that are designed by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). 

What Are NATED Courses?

NATED courses aim to provide students with knowledge required to build their careers. They are made up of theoretical and practical learning methods to ensure that students get the best preparation to join the workplace. 

What NATED Courses Can I Apply for?

The following NATED courses are offered at Bellview Institute of Distance Learning:

Where Can I Study NATED Courses?

You can apply at many institutions which offer NATED courses. The following institutions offer NATED courses:

  • Distance Learning Institutions 
  • TVET Colleges
  • Colleges

You can apply for
NATED courses at Bellview Institute of Distance Learning. We are a distance learning institution that offers courses that help students start their career journey. We are dedicated to help you build the career that you have always wanted by helping you reach your goals and objectives. 

Are NATED Courses Accredited?

Yes, they are. All NATED courses are accredited and recognised. They are accredited by:

What Is NSFAS?

NSFAS is the National Student Financial Aid Scheme that provides students with financial assistance for their undergraduate studies. 

What Does NSFAS Do?

NSFAS is funded by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET). They provide funding to students that need help with funding their higher education. They will fund you from the beginning of your studies until you finish your undergraduate study.

Institutions Funded By NSFAS

NSFAS funds public education institutions. The following institutions are funded by NSFAS: 

  • TVET Colleges
  • Public Universities

TVET Colleges

A TVET college is a Technical and Vocational Education and Training college that offers courses that prepare students to join the workplace. They allow students to learn about the skills that are needed in their chosen career field. If you have a Grade 9 and are at least 16 years, you can apply at a TVET College. 

Public Universities

Public universities, are higher education institutions that offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses. NSFAS will only fund your undergraduate studies.

Apply For The NSFAS Bursary Scheme

To start studying at a higher education institution but need funding, then you can apply for the NSFAS bursary scheme.

How Do I Qualify?

Not everyone is eligible for NSFAS funding. You will have to meet the following criteria to qualify for the funding:

  • You must be a South African citizen and resident 
  • You are interested in a public university or TVET College
  • Combined household income is under R350 000 annually
  • You are a SASSA Grant beneficiary
  • You are disabled and your household income is under R600 000 annually

What Do I Need To Apply?

Before you apply for NSFAS, make sure that you have all the required information and documents. This is what you will need:

  • Copy of your ID or Birth Certificate
  • Copy of the ID of your parent/guardian. (Required if you are not self-supporting)
  • Proof of yearly income if you are not a SASSA grant beneficiary
  • Proof of yearly income if you are not self-supporting
  • Disability application form
  • Valid cellphone number and email address

How Do I Apply For The NSFAS Bursary?

If you want to apply for the NSFAS bursary scheme, you can complete an online application. Follow these simple steps:

  1. Create your NSFAS account, then log in. If you have already created an account, you can just log in
  2. Click on ‘apply’ then fill in the application form
  3. Upload all required documents
  4. After completing your application, you will receive a reference number that you can use to track your application

If you need more information or have any questions, you can:

  • Give us a call on our toll-free number: 080 039 0027
  • Chat to us on WhatsApp: 065 656 9818

Frequently Asked Questions

No, it does not. NSFAS will not fund a bridging course. They only fund your first qualification in a higher education institution.

No, it will not. NSFAS will stop funding you if you do not pass your modules. NSFAS will carry on funding you if you pass 50% of your modules and meet the pass requirements of your institution.

NSFAS will pay for your registration, tuition, books, travel, accommodation, and personal allowance fees.

A NATED qualification is a qualification issued to students upon completion of NATED courses.

No, it does not. NSFAS will not pay for your second qualification in university. If you have completed a college course, they will fund you if it is a professional requirement for employment.

Author: Wanele Sibiya
Editor: Connor Bergsma
Date Published: June 27, 2022