There are plenty of reasons why having good time management is important, not only does it help you to get one step closer to your goals, but it will ensure that you:
- Become more responsible
- Study / work more efficiently
- Can complete more work in less time
- Won’t miss any deadlines
- Have less stress and anxiety
- Are more organised
- Will be well prepared for everything
- Improve your grades / work performance
Steps for Good Time Management
Follow these 5 simple steps to help you to manage your time and tasks more effectively:
- Determine what needs to be done
- Categorise into groups
- Prioritise your tasks
- Schedule your time
- Create a daily to-do list
1. Determine what Needs to be Done
Write down everything you need to do, whether it is for the day, the month or even the year.
As new tasks arise, you can always add it to your list.
2. Categorise into Groups
Once you have figured out everything you need to do, put them into separate categories.
Create categories for things such as your household chores, work tasks, personal events and your studies.
This way it will be easier for you to determine what time of the day you will be working on each. Such as personal events on weekends, work tasks during working hours, or household chores after work.
3. Prioritise your Tasks
Take a look at which tasks have deadlines or which are more important than others and focus on completing it first.
Doing tasks that are harder or more important first is a key step in effective time management.
You can follow the four D’s of time management to help you prioritise your tasks:
- Do – Focus on tasks that only take a few minutes to complete or need to be done urgently.
- Delay – If a task doesn’t have a specific deadline and can be handled at a later stage, do it when you have extra time available.
- Delegate – If someone else can do the task, and has the time, get them to complete it.
- Drop – Remove unnecessary tasks from your schedule and only do tasks that actually need to be done.
4. Schedule your Time
Create a schedule for yourself, you can use a daily planner or a calendar to plot down any deadlines you might have. Determine how much time you will need for each task, as well as the hours you have to complete them in the day.
Remember to keep some time open for any unexpected tasks or personal events that may arise.
5. Create a Daily To-Do List
Now that you have prioritised and scheduled your tasks, you need to create daily to-do lists for yourself.
You can create one each day, or perhaps plan out your days for the whole week. This will ensure that you are on track with everything and do not fall behind.
Be realistic and do not give yourself more than what you can handle.
Tips for Good Time Management
When following our steps for good time management, it is important to:
- Focus on one task at a time
- Take time to rest
- Get rid of distractions
- Be realistic
- Plan ahead
Your Time is Now, Enroll at Bellview Today!
Bellview Institute is a distance learning college committed to improving the careers of working individuals around South Africa.
We offer a variety of accredited career-development courses and the best benefits, including support and assistance whenever needed.
Contact us using one of the following ways:
- Give us a call on our toll-free number 0800 39 00 27
- Fill out our contact form at the bottom of the page
- Chat to us on Whatsapp 082 318 8892
Author: Kayla Preston
Last Updated: 15 January 2021